Table of Contents
Air beds have come a long way since the old days when these beds were constructed of a vinyl material that bore a strong resemblance to plastic. Those beds resembled blow-up plastic air rafts, were just as enjoyable to inflate but about as comfortable as sleeping on a large balloon.
This is no longer the case. Inflatable mattresses have been replaced by air beds which are now constructed with the sleep needs of its users as a top priority.
What are the Benefits of Adjustable Air Beds?
The benefits of adjustable air beds today are numerous, including:
- They are less expensive than purchasing an extra conventional bed. For instance, several models can be purchased for less than $150.
- Adjustable air beds are great for overnight guests. These beds self-inflate very quickly, some models inflate in about 90 seconds.
- The firmness level on an adjustable air bed is easy to regulate, simply by increasing or decreasing the inflation of air. The built in flex coil system provides stability and comfort.
- The tops of beds such as Insta-Bed are covered with a flocked layer that provides softness, comfort, and prevents bed linens from shifting on the bed.
- The bottom of this same type of bed is also constructed in such a way that it “grips” the surface upon which the bed rests. This prevents the bed from sliding around on the floor.
- These beds are constructed to use conventional bed linens.
- These beds also deflate quickly, and fold easily for easy storage. This saves valuable space that you cannot have with a conventional bed, and is great for homes where space is limited.
Will My Guests Be Comfortable?
Look for an air bed that inflates to a comfortable height, especially if there is the possibility that your guests may have difficulty getting in and out of a bed that sits very low when inflated to the desired comfort level. For that reason alone an raised airbed would be ideal.
There are additional benefits of adjustable air beds that may not be obvious at first, but are just as important as those which are immediately recognizable. One of these benefits is that of a nylon bag with straps for carrying. This makes the bed easily portable when traveling.
Can I Use This Type of Bed Outdoors?
The answer is a cautious “yes”. Most of these beds are designed to be used indoors, but with proper care and attention, can be used outdoors as well. It is recommended that, if used on the ground, a plastic tarp be placed under the bed to help protect it from sharp rocks which may be present but not immediately noticeable.
It should also be noted that, for beds designed to be inflated with electric pumps, an alternative means of inflation may be needed for sleeping outdoors. The Insta-Bed has a convenient side-valve for this purpose, if needed.
Today there is a good range of camping air mattresses, you can find out more about the best air mattress for camping here.
What About Customer Service from the Seller?
To many consumers, the quality of customer service is just as important as the quality of the purchase. This should apply to air beds too. Things can go wrong, or merchandise can arrived damaged through no fault of the buyer or the seller. Reading genuine reviews from verified buyers will give a good indication to the quality of a product so read as much as you can before purchasing.
One great way to measure the customer service of a company is to use them before the sale. When considering a particular brand of air bed, find the contact information for customer service and give them a call. If you are placed on hold for an unreasonable period of time, or have problems connecting with a flesh-and-blood person with whom to speak, then you may wish to find another brand of air bed.
Also, it’s a good idea to read the warranty before buying the product. Is the warranty for a sufficient period of time so as to allow any problems in design or workmanship to be discovered? For instance, a 30-day warranty on an air bed is probably not going to be a long enough period of time to discovered flaws in an air bed, unless the bed is going to be used immediately and frequently.
It’s All About Sleep!
It’s no secret that one of the secrets to good health, and feeling energized, is a good night’s sleep. Considering the benefits of adjustable air beds, purchasing a quality bed of this type will allow you provide a good night’s sleep to your guests, without straining the household’s space or budget.